Friday, August 04, 2006

Bon Jovi Vs. The Black Crowes

New Jersey Rockers Shake Things Up On "Wildflower"

After seeing a recent Bon Jovi concert with my wife, I decided to pick up the band's latest effort, Have a Nice Day. I am now listening to it for the first time and can't help but note a lyric that's almost "borrowed" directly from the Black Crowes.



Bon Jovi’s “Wildflower” features the line, “Well, she’ll tell you she’s an only child until you meet her brothers.” The lyric seemed strangely familiar to me the moment my brain processed it. After searching my mind for a few seconds, I realized I’d heard the line before in the Crowes’ “She Talks to Angels,” off their 1990 debut, Shake Your Money Maker. In the Crowes song, frontman Chris Robinson sings, “Yes, she’ll tell you she’s an orphan after you meet her family.” In the first verse, no less. Now, I'm not trying to disparage the Bon Jovi record. In fact, I'm greatly enjoying it. Just couldn't help pointing out the obvious lyrical similarity!

2 comments:

David Amulet said...

I'm not much of a Bon Jovi fan, but my fiancee is. Even she said the "new" album was pretty weak.

I've had several of those "didn't someone else sing that line" moments ... but I can't recall any of them right now. This one you cite is damn similar.

-- david

Jasper said...

Bon Jovi all the way.